Wednesday 11 August 2010

Interview with Kadeem Ward by Shako Gibson of Flash Magazine. (August.10.2010)

Q: Who is CONRAD, and how has he influenced this demo?
A: Conrad is said to be a ghost who possessed women and live in their stomachs. It is one of the many mythical creatures in old Bajan Folklore. I came across it while reading a folk book. I haven't found a lot of info surrounding the origins of this ghost, but I believe that it was summoned by obeah men. I thought that it was a cool idea to use the name for a project based on dark Bajan Folklore, so I did.
A lot of people don't know about it though, well younger people. I find it interesting that a lot of Barbadians know about "The Heart-Man" or "The Steel Donkey" but only a handful have heard about Conrad. Interesting enough, The Merrymen, a popular Barbadian Folk Band wrote a song called "Conrad" years ago. I discovered this recently after browsing through some videos on Youtube.
Thats another reason I chose the name; its rare to the public. Well there wasn't an influence by the actual ghost on the demo. Oseaan Kroniek was really a fantasy based creation. It was intended to set an adventurous atmosphere for the listeners. The next set of originals I intend to release WILL be influenced by Conrad and other dark creatures and deities such as the Orisha, Eshu.
Q: What genre you would say best suits your work?
A: Atmospheric Folk Metal or Ambient Folk Metal
Q: How long did the demos take to make?
A: Well I wrote the songs between the end of December last year and late June. It took me two months (July & August) to complete everything after days of recording, editing, mixing, deleting, idleness, re-recording and mastering.
Q: What is usually involved in the music making process for you?
A: Quiet days and quiet nights! I try my best to have a clear mind before i'm about to record anything, so I go for a walk at night in these isolated parts of St. Philip and try my best to block out the world before I lay down any riffs.
Sadly I was constantly interrupted during the process and ended up rushing everything. And for this reason, I am not satisfied with the Oseaan Kroniek demo because I wanted to add a lot more musical elements into it.
Even though I wasn't impressed, quite a few people seemed to be. So far the "Ocean Chronicle" track seems to be a favourite of the local and international fans.
Q: Who are some of your biggest influences in the music scene?
A: I have influences coming from every corner of the globe but I would have to say that my main influences come from the early Norwegian Black Metal bands, especially the work of Varg Vikernes of Burzum, Ihsahn of Emperor & Valfar of Windir.
Their use of strong epic ambient pieces, aggressive shredding and profound lyrics really inspired me and the music I produce.
Composers of Dark Classical music like Bach, Beethoven, Wagner & Mozart have a strong impact on Conrad as well.
I intend to include some elements of Afro-Caribbean music in my future releases. A rare Jamaican Black Metal band called Orisha Shakpana & Ocultan from Brazil had used such elements in their music. I find their music very inspiring. Both bands have broadened my vision towards Conrad.
Q: What would you say your aim is with the sound you are trying to project or vibe?
A: I guess my main goal is to preserve and teach historical tales and ancestral myths about Barbados, The Caribbean & Africa; while putting Barbados on the map for something other than sandy beaches, sugar cane, cricket & Rihanna *laughs*
Q:Is "Lord of the Depths" a reference to the devil by any chance?
A: No. But thats an interesting question though. I got the title from a Burzum song called "Ea, Lord Of The Depths". The "Lord" being Ea. Ea is the later Babylonian name of Enki, a God in Sumerian mythology. The lyrics of the song are not Varg's creation but rather a transcription from a Babylonian inscription describing one of Ea's forms, Sassu Wunnu.
It has a reptilian physical appearance as stated in the lyrics and is probably just a dragon or dinosaur.
Q: When do you plan to release a full length album?
A: I intend to as soon as I get some good equipment. I want to enhance my home studio and get some new guitar gear. I currently play a $99 electric guitar which can be HIGHLY ANNOYING at times; I currently use my cell phone to record vocals since I don't have a microphone and I also need a better amplifier. I'm low on funds so it's going to be a while before a full length Conrad album is released.
Q: Who would you like to have as a guest vocally or instrumentally on an album with you?
A: Yes, I do plan too. A few people approached me about it already, but i'm not ready yet. There are some things that need to be sorted out before I can though.
Q: Are you planning on making a video for any of the tracks?
A: No, not for the stuff on "Oseaan Kroniek". I was thinking about recording a video sometime in the future though. Gullies and beaches will be occupied!
The interview was great! Looking forward to doing more with you man. Hailz! Iba!
To listen to CONRAD's music go to: http://www.myspace.com/conradbb

No comments:

Post a Comment